Donald Trump: Lord of the Lies
Donald Trump and his supporters spent the last week chanting “crooked Hillary.”
Even though “Crooked Donald” is more accurate.
PolitiFact called Hillary the most honest politician in the 2016 race.
In fact, she’s more honest than most politicians they’ve tracked through the years.
But Trump is the most dishonest politician this year — and possibly ever — with 76% of his statements rated “false.”
Donald Trump: Lord of the Lies
“Lord of the Lies” is what Timothy Egan called Trump in a New York Times piece.
A few doozies:
- Trump reneged on payments owed to small businesses.
- A sales manager admitted that Trump University is a “fraudulent scheme” designed to bilk vulnerable clients. (Trump faces two class action lawsuits.)
- Trump raised money “for vets” and then tried to keep it for himself
Meanwhile, he contends:
- There was no drought in California.
- His hair spray won’t harm the ozone layer because it’s sealed inside Trump Tower.
- The unemployment rate is 42% (it’s under 5%)
- He knows more about ISIS than the generals do
- Pres. Obama was not born in the United States
And he won’t release his taxes. What’s he trying to hide?
In fact, Trumps has “been shown to lie more than 70 times in a single event,” says Egan.
Repeat often and people believe
Repeat a charge often enough, and people start to believe.
Hillary has been pilloried with false charges for a quarter of a century. Nothing much has turned out to be true. But the false charges are heard so often that most people now believe she is corrupt.
- “Whitewater” was revealed to be nothing but a bad business deal.
- Republicans accused the Clintons of murdering their friend, Vince Foster. Five different investigations — and a huge waste of taxpayer money — found no truth to the matter.
- Republicans accused Hillary of culpability in Benghazi. Several investigations — and more millions of taxpayer dollars later: Nope.
- Hillary Clinton gave highly paid speeches to Wall Street, so she is corrupt. Actually, she was on a speaker circuit that pays hundreds of thousands of dollars per speech — for all audiences. Her paycheck is similar to other celebrities.
- Private email server? Most State Department staff use private email because the government server is not efficient. Made sense to Colin Powell. FBI director James Comey found no evidence that Mrs. Clinton did anything nefarious, so she was not charged. And, the State Department’s server was successfully hacked. There’s no evidence that hers was.
Given the constant accusations over nothing, or making mountains out of molehills, it’s no surprise that Mrs. Clinton would want a private server to keep rivals from finding hooks for false accusations.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire?
Mrs. Clinton has been demonized more than any other politician — and for a quarter century.
The constant drum of suspicion creates suspicion.
My Mormon mom had a major crush on Mormon, Mitt Romney. So Romneycare was perfect in her eyes.
But Obamacare is just horrible — even though it’s the same thing as Romneycare. How does she know? The Republicans keep saying it’s horrible.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire!
But sometimes it’s just smoke and mirrors.