Why Don’t Laws Punish Men For Abortion?
Laws punishing women and doctors when an abortion is performed are proliferating. But it takes two to tango. Why are guys left off the hook?
Photo by Duanu00e9 Viljoen on Pexels.com
Some folks have suggestions about how men, too, might be punished for abortion:
- Third-party vigilantes can collect a $10,000 bounty for turning in men who impregnate leading to abortion
- Automatic child support from fathers to mothers forced to have unwanted pregnancies
- Men must pay half of prenatal care and hospital costs related to the birth
- Sue men for the cost of raising a child to age 18
- Sue men for pain and suffering if they avoid helping to raise their child
- Compensate mothers for loss of income due to child birth and child raising
- Life imprisonment for rapists, since they shouldn’t face lighter sentences than the young woman and girls who abort after rape or incest
And have you noticed that anti-abortion laws look more like misogyny than efforts to save lives? As I’ve written before, these same legislatures vote against:
- prenatal care
- gun safety laws
- mask and vaccine mandates to protect the lives of others
- food stamps for poor kids, disabled and elderly
- climate legislation to prevent death from fires, polluted air, hurricanes, floods and drought.
- Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act that save lives
New anti-abortion laws mean that:
- more women will be prosecuted for miscarriage
- women could be stopped at the border to take a pregnancy test before she can go out of state
- if a woman’s health or life are threatened too bad – it’s okay if the fetus kills her
Women and fetuses are not morally equivalent. If a fire broke out while “pro-lifers” protested a stem cell research lab, would you ignore the terrified screams of a two-year-old whose mother had brought her to the protest, so that you could save thousands of fertilized eggs — or as pro-lifers call them, “people”? I’ve never met anyone yet who would.
And in case you missed this, I saw the below on Facebook from Nev Schulman:
How about we treat every man who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion?
- Mandatory 48 hour waiting period
- Parental permission
- A note from his doctor proving he understands what he’s about to do
- Video he must watch about the effects of gun violence
- An ultrasound wand up the ass (just because)
- Close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun
- Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun
“It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women in healthcare right?”