I generally find comment policies annoying, but since I’ve been asked about them, here’s mine, annoying or not.
Comment on the post you were reading, not here. (Unless you want to comment on the policy.)
Comments I don’t post:
- Rude, mean, snarky, nonsense, trolls. Hurtful, whether intended or not.
- Having little or nothing to do with the post.
- Too long or repetitive. Or so many that they take all my time.
- Some trolls write in with the goal of creating a bias toward an article. If they make a point that has some merit or is commonly heard, I will post it, but if the goal seems to be trolling, not as the first or second comment.
- Otherwise, I rarely approve comments the second they come in. Approval may take 24 hours+ if it’s the weekend or I’m on vacation or very busy.