Planned Parenthood Saves Lives
Defund Planned Parenthood to save lives?
That’s what folks — perpetually intent on promoting unplanned parenthood — claim. Because 3% of the services PP provided last year were abortion-related (but not government-funded). And some folks trust hoaxes staged to make PP look bad.
Yet the anti-PP folks don’t really care about saving lives.
Pro-lifers Against Saving Lives
The “destroy Planned Parenthood” zealots also vote against:
- Sex ed, one of the most effective ways to prevent abortion
- Prenatal care, which enhances the chance of live births for poor women
- Food stamps that keep children, the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor from starving (about 3/4 of food stamp recipients)
- Obamacare and Medicaid expansions that save lives
- HPV vaccinations that prevent cancer
- Alleviating pollutants and stoping climate change — which threaten life
- An abortion allowance if a mother’s life is at risk
That’s right. Mike Huckabee says a 10-year-old rape victim should have been forced to carry the pregnancy to term. Even though giving birth would have likely killed her.
Defunding Planned Parenthood would take lives
Plus, defunding Planned Parenthood would cut:
- Cancer screenings
- HIV screenings
- Birth-control, which is the most effective way to prevent abortion
A couple years after one Indiana county shut down its PP clinic, the governor declared a “public health emergency” from the spike in H.I.V. cases.
In fact, Planned Parenthood mostly provides contraception, mammograms, pap smears and inoculations for poor adults and children.
So if Republicans ever successfully shut down Planned Parenthood, more people will die.
Meanwhile, antiabortion laws don’t stop abortion so much as make it go underground, endangering women’s lives.
The real agenda
They don’t really care about life. So what’s the real agenda?
The anti-Planned Parenthood contingent are really all about trying to set back women’s rights and women’s empowerment.
When women can’t control their reproduction, they’re more likely to bear many children, making financial independence difficult. That leaves them more disempowered and dependent on men.
And maybe anti-choicers just revels in the notion of making women feel disempowered over their own bodies and lives, too.
Posted on September 30, 2015, in feminism, reproductive rights, sexism, women and tagged #standwithpp, control women, feminism, GOP, Planned Parenthood, reproductive rights, sexism, stand with planned parenthood, women. Bookmark the permalink. 71 Comments.