How Does A Man Ask A Woman Out Post-Weinstein?
One of my male Facebook friends wondered: how does a man ask a woman out post-Weinstein?
He’s not the only one who wonders. A New York Times headline blared “Deep Confusion of the Post-Weinstein Moment.”
It doesn’t some so complicated to me. Like this:
- Don’t meet a woman while wearing an open bathrobe — or anything like that, a la Harvey Weinstein.
- Don’t grab a woman’s breasts or rub your erection up against her, a la Mark Halperin.
- No crotch-groping, a la Kevin Spacey and Donald Trump
- Don’t proposition 14-year-olds, a la Roy Moore
- Don’t ask a woman to watch you masturbate, a la Louis C.K.
- Don’t keep pushing for sex when she says she’s not interested.
- Don’t suggest her career will be ruined if she doesn’t have sex with you.
- Be aware of power differentials that can leave women fearing retribution if they refuse or if they complain about sexual harassment.
Still, some men like Woody Allen fear a “witch hunt.” Woody Allen… that reminds me: don’t sleep with your step-daughter.
Common courtesy and common sense.
Posted on November 16, 2017, in rape and sexual assault and tagged dating in an era of sexual harassment, Harvey Weinstein, Mark Halperin, sexual harassment, Woody Allen. Bookmark the permalink. 99 Comments.