Wonderful Life or Pottersville? You Choose
While indulging my yearly Yuletide ritual — enjoying “It’s A Wonderful Life” — something odd happened:
Mr. Potter’s face morphed into an amalgam of Charles and David Koch.
The Koch brothers are prone to giving huge campaign contributions in return for dismantling the government. AKA legal bribery.
Instead of the community coming together for the good of all, the billionaire Koch Brothers only want to increase their wealth. (Like they need more money!)
At the expense of the rest of us.
And then America will be more like Pottersville than a wonderful life.
To increase their profits and lower their taxes The Kochs seek to:
- End Social Security — increasing elderly poverty
- End Medicare — increasing elderly sickness and death
- No job creation or training from government — fewer good paying jobs for the rest of us
- Lower wages: Union bust, and no guaranteed living wage for working people
- No financial regulation: expect runs on the bank, and “Mr. Potters” exploiting our fears
- No food and drug regulation — leaving more people sick or dying
- No safety regulation. Expect broken elevators, or becoming crippled from unsafe work areas in the factory or in your cubicle…
- No environmental regulation. We’ll have to wear masks, our kids won’t be playing outside, our water won’t be safe to drink, and goodbye water sports.
- We’ll suffer more extreme weather: more drought, flooding of coastal areas, hurricanes, tornadoes… but the rich can afford to escape the effects of climate change
- No public education — the better to manipulate the rest of us into voting against our own interests.
The rich must get richer!
At our expense.
Posted on December 16, 2016, in women. Bookmark the permalink. 12 Comments.
Isn’t that human? Self-preservation and promotion is a basic instinct, contrary to what they say when others are watching. Others (we) have to be smart enough to see through that and do our own self-preservation. Businesses and corporations don’t exist for making either their employees or the general public rich.
Humans have the potential to be either competitive or cooperative. Our earliest ancestors appear to have been cooperative, based on how foragers today live all over the world. Some have been confused by this for the reasons you give. And yet cooperation does aid the human species. Societies that cooperate and trade with each other are much more prosperous than those who constantly war with each other.
Trump seems to be putting together a cabinet that will follow exactly that agenda.
His cabinet pics are terrifying. And should be scary even to the people who voted him in for populist reasons.
I heard John Kasich say that he offered him the vice presidency, saying that he could run the government — while Trump runs around cheerleading “making America great”. Kasich refused. My guess is DJT made the same offer to Mike Pence. And so we seem to have Mike Pence running the country as a far right Christian who does what the elite establishment wants on economics. It’s a complete betrayal of Trumps populous constituency.
Your comment is “on the money.” Contrast the values of the Koch Brothers with those of the Steyer Brothers as expressed on the Charlie Rose Show on Dec. 15:
Interesting! Thanks for the link.
it’s frustrating, it’s same everywhere…
That’s why we’re getting a lot of extreme right populist movements that blame immigrants or people of color instead of the real cause of the problem, people like the Koch brothers.
In Norway as well. We have seen many changes for the worse with this government. I expect it will not get better.
Technology, in particular, is taking a lot of jobs and causing a lot of insecurity. Unfortunately, a lot of people are attacking minorities instead of trying to figure out a way to create an income for people in return for work that helps the society. Surprisingly, I have seen some constructive ideas coming from reform conservatives in America. I’m glad they are coming from the right because they’re more likely to be taken up by the left than if the situation were reversed.
Très bon article
Bonjour de France
Thank you! 🙃