Drain the Swamp
Most Trump voters didn’t vote for him out of racism or sexism.
Most sought to drain the swamp of policy that serves an elite few while ignoring everyone else — leaving too many working Americans fearful and angry.
I voted for Hillary, but I am with them on that point.
Now we must hold DJT to his promise to help middle-class Americans amidst worrisome signs arise, like these:
- A tax plan that favors the wealthy: Under Trump the middle-class will get tax cuts of about 2% — while America’s richest will get a 13.5% cut.
- Deregulate Wall Street: So that Main Street bails out Wall Street once again
- Weaken Medicare: A Republican gift to insurance and pharmaceutical companies — that we will pay for. See details under “Ryan-Care” below.**
- Weaken Social Security too: Republican Mitch McConnell says Medicare and Social Security are our biggest national threats.
We must also look at what’s actually effective in helping the middle class and what’s not.
Most of the job loss is due to technology, not China and Mexico. And even if Trump did keep jobs from going to Mexico management would likely just build automated plants instead.
The most effective ways to help the middle class are to create jobs that require human work at living wages, like building up our infrastructure, educating our people, and tax policy that benefits the middle class.
We must hold DJT to his promise to help hard-working Americans. “Drain the swamp” shouldn’t be “just words” to help him get elected.
Keep pushing to strengthen the middle-class!
Paul Ryan’s plan to drain your pocket and enrich insurance and pharmaceutical companies:
Instead of providing medical care, Medicare would provide subsidies for private plans.
- Subsidies probably won’t be tied to medical cost inflation — you’ll pay more
- Now we’ll need a private “middle man” — who wants a profit — you’ll pay more
- Shareholders expect a dividend — you’ll pay more
- Medicare loses leverage over medical care providers and drug companies — you’ll pay more
The Kaiser Family Foundation says out-of-pocket costs for a typical 65-year old would more than double.
Meanwhile, weakening Social Security and Medicare is great for rich elites who want to completely dismantle government. Not so great for the rest of us. Yet folks keep voting Republican. Go figure.
Posted on January 13, 2017, in politics/class inequality and tagged #Drain the Swamp, Deregulate Wall Street, Paul Ryan Medicare, policy serves elite hurts middle-class, Tax cuts for rich, Trump voters. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.